If you're on Dr. Oz's new wellness plan, System 20, you know you need to get a serving of beans, greens, and proteins for both lunch and dinner. Say goodbye to boring, uncreative dinner combos and hello to this delicious braised chicken dish. This recipe has all the components to make a healthy meal on System 20.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 oz) can whole, peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken bone broth or water
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, stems removed and leaves torn
- 1 sprig rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Heat a large Dutch oven medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
3. Season the chicken with salt and cracked black pepper and add to the hot oil. Sear on all sides until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and place on a plate.
4. Remove any excess oil from the pan, leaving 2 tablespoons. Add the onions and garlic along with the fennel and red pepper flakes. Cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
5. Drain the tomatoes, reserving the liquid, and crush the tomatoes with your hands.
6. First, add the tomato juice to the pot and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the pan. Then, add in the beans and stir to coat. Next, stir in the tomatoes.
7. Add in the kale and place the chicken pieces back into the pan, skin side up. Add enough chicken broth or water to come halfway up the chicken. Add the rosemary sprig and bring to a simmer.
8. Place uncovered into the oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Divide evenly between 4 bowls.
Watch The Video
Tried this recipe? Log in to DoctorOz.com to rate it and find more recipes just for you.
Tried this recipe? Share your rating below!