Nothing packs a punch quite like these soft tempeh chorizo tacos from Terry Hope Romero's Protein Ninja. These tacos feature the flavor of unique chorizo sausage with Mexican chili powder and liquid smoke. They'll give spice lovers everywhere something to cheer about.
- 8 oz package tempeh
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or ground into a paste in a mortar and pestle
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp smoked sweet or hot paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp Mexican chile powder
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- Corn or wheat tortillas
- 1 cup unroasted cashews
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- diced ripe tomatoes
- thinly sliced red onions
- thinly sliced red cabbage
1. Dice the tempeh into 1/2-inch chunks. In a large skillet, preheat the peanut oil over medium heat. Stir in the tempeh and fry for three minutes or until the edges of the tempeh are lightly browned.
2. In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour into the skillet, increase the heat to medium high, and bring the liquid to a rapid simmer. Cover the pan and simmer for five minutes. Uncover the pan and continue to simmer the tempeh, stirring occasionally, for another five to eight minutes. Depending on how saucy you prefer the chorizo tempeh, serve it when it’s saucy and moist or continue to simmer until the liquid has been absorbed by the tempeh for drier crumbles.
3. To prepare the cashew lime crema, soak the unroasted cashews in warm water. After several minutes, drain the cashews, and mix with lime juice, garlic, agave nectar, and salt.
4. Layer corn or wheat tortillas with guacamole, chorizo tempeh crumbles, cashew lime crema, tomatoes, red onions, and red cabbage.