- 8 oz extra-firm tofu, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp wheat-free tamari, divided
- 3 tbsp cashew butter
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp natural sugar
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp red onion or scallion, finely minced
- 2 lavash flatbreads or large flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts (optional)
- ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or spray it with cooking spray. Arrange the tofu strips on the pan, drizzle them with 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake until lightly browned, turning once about half-way through, about 20 minutes total. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, combine the cashew butter, tamari, lime juice, sugar and chili paste. Blend well.
In a medium bowl, combine the lettuce, carrot, bell pepper, bean sprouts, if using, and onion. Toss to combine.
Spread the cashew mixture onto each flatbread, dividing evenly. Top with the vegetable mixture, spreading on the lower third of each wrap. Top the vegetables on each flatbread with strips of the reserved tofu.
Roll up the sandwiches and use a serrated knife to cut them in half. Serve at once.