1 2-3 lb fresh turkey, cleaned 2 medium onions, chopped 2 medium carrots, chopped 2 celery sticks, chopped 8 medium potatoes, peeled or skin on 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 2 shallots, chopped 2 twigs fresh rosemary, chopped 2 twigs sage leaves, chopped (optional) 2 medium lemons, juice and zest 3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature 8 oz red wine (optional) 8 oz chicken broth salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the butter, garlic, shallot, rosemary, thyme, sage, lemon, and zest into a paste. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
3. Then, place turkey in a large oven pan. Gently rub the mixture under the skin and all over the turkey. Tuck wing tips under to prevent from burning.
4. Arrange the onions, carrots, celery, and potatoes around the turkey. Bake for 30 minutes.
5. Deglaze with wine and broth, and then cook for another 30 minutes.
6. Reduce oven temperature to 275°F and cook for 1 hour, basting every 20 minutes.
7. After the first hour, return oven temperature to 375°F. Cover the turkey with foil to prevent burning and let cook for an additional hour. The turkey is ready when juices run clear or it has reached a temperature of 165°F.
8. Remove cooked turkey from pan and set aside to rest for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, remove the potatoes and sieve the juice to use for gravy. Serve with your favorite sides at your Thanksgiving table.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.