Tofu can be intimidating, but this versatile plant protein takes on whatever flavor you give it. With every bite of this savory scramble recipe, you’ll feel healthier and invigorated. This breakfast will also help manage your blood sugar levels.
From The Alzheimer’s Solution by Dean & Ayesha Sherzai, MD. Copyright 2017.
- 1 8-ounce block of firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ red onion, chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups of fresh spinach, loosely chopped
- ½ cup sliced button mushrooms
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp turmeric
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
1. Drain the tofu and squeeze gently to remove extra water. Crumble tofu into a bowl by hand - the smaller the pieces, the better.
2. Prep vegetables and place a large skillet over medium heat. Once ready, add olive oil, onions, and bell peppers. Stir in a pinch of the salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes to soften the vegetables. Then add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add tofu. Sauté for about 3 minutes, a little more if the tofu is watery.
3. Add the rest of the salt and pepper, garlic turmeric, and nutritional yeast and mix with a spatula, making sure the spices blend well. Cook for another 5 to 8 minutes until tofu is slightly browned.
4. Add the spinach and cover the pan to steam for 2 minutes. Serve immediately with sides of your choice.