Let this avocado toast recipe transport you to a warm spring day, with the help of fresh basil and tomatoes. The poached egg adds the protein and vitamins you need to start your morning off on the right foot.
1/2 avocado 1 heirloom tomato, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds 1 slice whole grain bread 1 poached egg 1 small bunch of basil, finely chopped
1. Toast whole grain bread in the toaster oven.
2. While the bread is toasting, bring a pot of water to boil.
3. When the water starts boiling, turn off the heat and start stirring the water quickly to create a whirlpool effect. Next, crack an egg in the pot and cover for a few minutes. If you want your yolks very soft, aim for four minutes, for regular softness wait five minutes, and for half-soft yolks cook for six minutes.
4. Remove toasted bread and spread avocado onto the slice.
5. Top with heirloom tomato slices and sprinkle basil on top.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.