As part of her clean eating shopping list for the Clean Prescription Restart Plan, Kathy Freston recommends eating natural, whole foods such as quinoa and tempeh. Make delicious vegan-friendly meatballs with this recipe and enjoy for dinner or in bulk as appetizers when company comes over. To make a full meal, add quinoa and marinara sauce on the side for a healthier pasta dish.
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
8 oz tempeh (or sub 1 heaping cup rinsed and drained chickpeas for similar result)
1/3 cup vegan Parmesan cheese (plus another 1/3 cup for coating)
2 tsp Italian seasonings
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/2 cup vegan bread crumbs (plus 1/3 cup for coating)
olive oil (for sautéeing)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare the egg substitute in a small dish. Combine one tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with three tablespoons of water and whisk to combine. Put in the refrigerator to set for 15 minutes.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft and translucent.
3. Add the tempeh to a food processor and pulse. Then add all the ingredients (except olive oil) and mix until a tempeh reaches a dough-like consistency. Adjust seasoning if needed.
4. Scoop the dough into small balls and roll in a mixture of a 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs and a 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese.
5. Heat up a skillet over medium heat and add a small layer of olive oil to coat the bottom. Put meatballs into the skillet and cook until browned (about five minutes). Then, put slightly cooked meatballs onto a pan and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until crispy.
6. While the meatballs are cooking, prep quinoa and marinara sauce if desired.
7. Serve meatballs plain or put them on top of a bed of quinoa and top with marinara sauce. Add parsley and additional cheese on top if desired and enjoy.
**Note: Calorie count is only for meatballs and does not include quinoa or marinara sauce.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.