Spend a little over a dollar on lunch with Leanne Brown's simple and tasty salad. It’s got crunch, flavor, and fresh. And all of the ingredients are probably in your fridge already, so it’s any easy way to have a healthy lunch in a hurry.
- 1 medium-sized cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup raw peanuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- Optional additions:
- grated carrot
- finely chopped apple
- sesame seeds
- a few drops of sesame oil
Serves 4 as a side.
1. Toss the cabbage and salt in a large bowl. Place something heavy, like a pot, on top of the cabbage. Leave it for 2 hours.
2. Roast the peanuts in a single layer in a skillet over medium heat, occasionally tossing them until they are lightly brown all over, about 5 minutes.
*Alternatively, spread the peanuts on a baking sheet and broil them about 2 minutes. When they turn golden, sprinkle a bit of salt and set them aside.
3. Combine the olive oil, rice vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Mix it up and taste. Adjust the salt and pepper as you like.
4. Once the 2 hours have passed, toss the cabbage again with your hands. Before serving, add the scallions, peanuts, and dressing. Toss, taste, and adjust the seasoning as you see fit.