Celebrity divorce attorney and relationship expert Vikki Ziegler says you should treat COVID-19 like an STD.
Just when we thought relationships and dating could not get any more complicated, the pandemic took this matter to a whole new level. Celebrity divorce attorney and relationship expert, Vikki Ziegler receives an abundance of questions about this exact topic, every single day. Her fans and followers message her via her social media channels, in the hopes of finding the right way to safely date during these times. So, if this topic has crossed your mind, rest assured you are not alone.
For those who used to "swipe left and right," on the regular, Vikki recommends slowing down for the time being, no matter what type of antibacterial wipes are being used between your swipes. Serial dating during COVID-19 can be dangerous and also very selfish at the same time. This might be a good time to either take a break from dating altogether, or invest more time in one relationship and being monogamous, at least for right now. "Everyone should treat COVID-19 as they do an STD, while dating and practice safe EVERYTHING, even beyond just intimacy," says Ziegler. "This will simplify the process and make the do's and don'ts much less complex."
She recommends that new partners keep the dating virtual prior to both being tested and or having the vaccine. "Screendating" can still be both fun and safe at the same time. She suggests that you still wear your favorite new dress, get that fresh haircut or blowout and act as though you are still going out, even if the date is happening in the privacy of your own home. She has suggested some ideas such as virtual movie nights, happy hours, cooking classes, and the most obvious, the at-home and virtual dining date. This would entail both partners ordering food to each of their respective homes, but using the same menu as if they were dining in person.
If you look for the silver lining, even in the pandemic, you will definitely find it. Old school romance and chivalry have now been brought back to life. We all have the chance to get creative and come up with unique virtual dates, which in fact allow for more quality one-on-one time prior to meeting in person. In fact, Vikki believes this may actually lead to a spike in even healthier relationships when we come out on the other side of this pandemic.
Keeping in mind that virtually dating from the comfort of your own home is still the safest option, we all know that there are many who are in fact ready for those in-person interactions. In the hopes of keeping those as safe as possible, Vikki has compiled a list of her personal favorite "must-haves" for romantic outings during our "new normal." She suggests keeping the following on hand before heading out for your "in-person" date.
7 Essential Items for Your Pandemic Date
1. Touchless digital thermometer, if you are heading out on a date, make sure you have this thermometer on hand, in case you're not feeling well prior to the date. Some people may choose to check their temperatures regardless as a standard rule of thumb before leaving the house.
2. Face mask coverings are mandatory in most public establishments even if only wearing them until you are seated if the date is at a restaurant. Some dates may require your mask to be left on for the entire date, depending on the venue. If this is the case, you want to ensure you are comfortable. For this reason, Vikki recommends the EnerPlex's three-layer masks which you can buy almost anywhere either in stores or online. She finds these have the best fit and breathability, not to mention they also avoid fogging up glasses for those who wear glasses or readers.
3. Mouthwash. She always recommends SmartMouth and the fresh kissable breath it gives you with twice-daily use. It can even help with morning breath, for those dates which may end up as sleepovers with or without notice. Vikki calls this stuff "confidence in a bottle."
4. Neck gators can be game savers if you plan to dine outside as they will kill two birds with one stone and act not only as a face covering but also as a means to keep the cold weather away from your skin.
5. Antibacterial wipes are a great idea to wipe down surfaces for an extra layer of protection prior to making surface contact on the date. It is always best to use a trusted brand like the Lysol ones, which are both tried and true, just to be certain you kill those surface germs prior to sitting down.
6. Spray hand sanitizer and one that doesn't have an offensive smell. Vikki's loves the Touchland scented ones, which are easy to spray on and leave your hands feeling sanitized and smelling delicious.
7. A mask chain that can serve as a trendy accessory during these times but also ensure your mask stays sanitary in between being on and off your face if that is an option for the date you are planning to go on. Mask chains can be as simple as a string and as fancy as a wire which can be decorated with beads, stones and even gems. Any will do the trick, as long as it can safely be secured to the mask, ensuring it won't touch any other surfaces in between wearing it.
Many things have been canceled due to COVID, but romance does NOT have to be one of them. If you can stay smart and be safe and follow tips like the ones above, it is still possible to find love and still enjoy romance, even during a worldwide pandemic.