Some stressors are inescapable, but that doesn’t mean stress has to overwhelm your life or plague your health.
Some stressors are inescapable, but that doesn’t mean stress has to overwhelm your life or plague your health. Dr. Oz asked some of the nation’s top health experts to reveal their secrets for cutting stress and managing anxiety. Their tips are easy, affordable and won’t take any extra time out of your busy day.
Try 4-7-8 Breathing
Dr. Andrew Weil's tip focuses on the correlation between emotions and breathing. People who are anxious or upset breathe rapid, shallow, noisy and irregular breaths. It’s easier to regulate your breathing than flip a switch on your mood. Try this technique known as 4-7-8 Breathing:
• Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge behind and above your front teeth
• Exhale through your mouth, making a whooshing sound
• Close your mouth and inhale deeply through your nose to a silent count of 4
• Then hold your breath for a count of 7
• Exhale through the mouth to a count of 8, and make the same whooshing sound
• Repeat for 4 breath cycles
Do this twice a day and you’ll be amazed by how easily calm washes over you.