Get a sense of your childhood experiences that could possibly be negatively impacting you.
The ACE Test asks you questions about adverse childhood experiences you may have had. The CDC studied this in the mid-1990s to see what long-term effects these instances of trauma had on those who experienced them. The exact score you receive does not necessarily quantify the adverse effects troubling you today but helps you assess your overall experience. See the questionnaire below and get a sense of possible negative experiences you had as a child.
While you were growing up, during your first 18 years of life:
1. Did a parent or other adult in the household often … Swear at you, insult you, put you down, or humiliate you? or Act in a way that made you afraid that you might be physically hurt? If yes enter 1 ________
2. Did a parent or other adult in the household often … Push, grab, slap, or throw something at you? or Ever hit you so hard that you had marks or were injured? If yes enter 1 ________
3. Did an adult or person at least 5 years older than you ever… Touch or fondle you or have you touch their body in a sexual way? or Try to or actually have oral, anal, or vaginal sex with you? If yes enter 1 ________
4. Did you often feel that … No one in your family loved you or thought you were important or special? or Your family didn't look out for each other, feel close to each other, or support each other? If yes enter 1 ________
5. Did you often feel that … You didn't have enough to eat, had to wear dirty clothes, and had no one to protect you? or Your parents were too drunk or high to take care of you or take you to the doctor if you needed it? If yes enter 1 ________
6. Were your parents ever separated or divorced? If yes enter 1 ________
7. Was your mother or stepmother: Often pushed, grabbed, slapped, or had something thrown at her? or Sometimes or often kicked, bitten, hit with a fist, or hit with something hard? or Ever repeatedly hit over at least a few minutes or threatened with a gun or knife? If yes enter 1 ________
8. Did you live with anyone who was a problem drinker or alcoholic or who used street drugs? If yes enter 1 ________
9. Was a household member depressed or mentally ill or did a household member attempt suicide? If yes enter 1 ________
10. Did a household member go to prison? If yes enter 1 ________
Now add up your "Yes" answers: _______ This is your ACE Score