1 12-15 pound turkey kosher salt, to taste black pepper, to taste 1 orange, quartered 1 lemon, quartered 1 onion, quartered 1 head of garlic, halved along the equator 2 sprigs of sage 2 sprigs of rosemary 3 sprigs of thyme 1 bay leaf 3 sticks of butter 1 cheesecloth
1. Bring the turkey out of the fridge 30 minutes before roasting. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Season the turkey inside and out with salt and pepper.
3. Fill the cavity of the bird with the orange, lemon and the onion.
4. Heat a saucepot over low heat and add the butter, garlic and herbs.
5. Cook until the butter has melted and then remove from the heat.
6. Place the cheesecloth into the butter mixture and once cooled a bit, lay the cheesecloth over the turkey breast.
7. Place the turkey in the oven and cook for 2 hours.
8. Remove the cheesecloth and cook for an additional 1.5 to 2 hours until the turkey reads 165 when a thermometer is inserted into the thigh.
9. Let the turkey rest for 30 minutes before carving.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.