6 oz smoked andouille sausage, sliced 1/2 onion, diced 1/2 green pepper, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper salt and pepper, to taste 3 tbsp butter 1/4 cup flour 1 tsp smoked paprika 2 1/2 cups milk 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese 1 cup shredded mozzarella 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper several dashes of hot sauce (optional) 1/2 lb small or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined 1 lb cooked cavatappi pasta
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Grease 2-quart casserole baking dish. Spray non-stick stock pot with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Sauté sausage for 2-3 minutes until browned on each side.
3. Add onions and bell peppers. Cook for 1-2 minutes until softened and browning. Stir in garlic and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from pot.
4. Melt butter in pot. Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Continue to stir add in paprika. Pour in milk. You may want to use a whisk to eliminate any lumps.
5. Stir in cheeses (Reserve about 1/2 a cup of cheese to sprinkle on top once in baking dish.)
6. Lower heat and stir until cheese is melted. Add salt, cayenne pepper, and hot sauce if desired.
7. Combine warm cheese sauce with sausage mixture, raw shrimp, and cooked pasta. Stir well and spoon into baking dish.
8. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is bubbling and top is golden brown.
Become an insider
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s free, daily newsletter and get his exclusive, personal tips for living your best life.