Bacon lovers looking for a healthier option need to give this mushroom bacon recipe a try from BrokeAss Gourmet. This meatless version of the greasy breakfast side tastes close to the real thing with fewer calories (plus a serving of veggies!).
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsp brown sugar 1/2 tsp smoked sea salt (or kosher salt) 1/2 tsp smoked paprika 1 tsp black pepper 2 large (or 3-4 smaller) King Oyster mushrooms, into bacon-sized strips, about 1/8-inch thick
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F.
2. Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet with the extra virgin olive oil.
3. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, smoked (or regular) salt, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
4. Place the sliced mushrooms in a large mixing bowl.
5. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and toss well to combine.
6. Add the brown sugar mixture to the oiled mushrooms and use your hands or a spoon to toss well, ensuring each mushroom slice is well-coated.
7. Arrange the mushrooms on the oiled baking sheet with space in between each one.
8. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until the mushrooms turn dark brown.
9. Flip the mushrooms gently, using a spatula.
10. Bake for another 15-17 minutes, until very brown.
11. Let cool for at least 10 minutes (this will also crisp the mushrooms).
12. Serve immediately. Unused bacon will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Subscribe to Dr. Oz’s newsletter and never miss the best content.
Get everything you need to live healthy and happy.
Click here to sign up.